Friday, May 17, 2019

The Other Side

I love shopping. It's at those times that I encounter conversations that amuse me a lot-conversations between a mom and daughter!

This time I saw a mom plead her daughter to take at least one checked kurta because she felt they were beautiful on her daughter. The daughter kept meandering away from all the suggested outfits and was trying to choose on her own. I'm no one to judge either of their choices but somewhere I was more inclined towards the mothers choice!

On yet another day while I was at the tailor I had to wait until a mom-daughter finished their arguments. The daughter wanted the length of the dress to be 2 inches above her knees while the mother wanted it at 2 inches below knee ! I saw the daughter profusely yelling that last time a dress was stitched as per mom's norms she  looked like a ghost !The tailor was struggling to make sense and settled them both at knee length. I had a hearty laugh and wondered how much fun it was to be a mute spectator.

And the other day I was busy picking innerwear and I chanced upon a daughter searching hard for bright colorful innerwear while the mother was bewildered and asking her daughter to choose something less flashy.

 Such instances gets me back thinking about those times I shopped with my mom.
We were a terrific duo when it came to shopping- my mom loved florals ,bright colors while I loved sober ,pastel and dull dresses. It was the most amusing time in life as we would take time to choose and finally settle on something we both liked. It was fun in a way but also time consuming and energy draining. But there was this part of me which always ensured that I took an outfit that would be liked by her as well. This was always after a lot of arguments and discussions on why I liked another better! I presumed that all moms had it easy and saying a NO to their daughter's whims and fancies was their most favorite job.

Times have changed , these days I pick dresses for my daughter and being a mom is the most difficult part. My good ‘Karma’ boomerangs and its more of a pleading and balancing act that I mostly fail at. My daughter has a mind of her own and not all her selections get a nod from me.

I wonder at the amount of worry, concern and after-thought every mom has while purchasing for her kid. I ponder a lot and at times almost all her choices play like the final destination movie scenes to me! (-if you know what I mean)

As much as the mother side is challenging, responsible  and mature ,I prefer playing the other side- the side of the daughter! Its fun,carefree and budget-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment